[openbeos] Re: Making BeOS accessible to Windows

  • From: "Travis Geiselbrecht" <geist@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 00:08:16 -0800

As the author of the read-only NTFS driver in beos I can safely tell you
you don't want to try that unless you want a huge project. NTFS is a
largely undocumented, extremely complicated filesystem. It was hard
enough getting it to reliably work in read-only mode. Totally different
story for read-write. It's very extensible, so Microsoft is always
adding extensions to it, so you have to keep figuring out what they're
doing.

There's a reason that no other operating system has a reliable ntfs
driver, it's too hard to play catch-up and figure out why the latest
service pack broke your driver.

Travis