[openbeos] Re: Making BeOS accessible to Windows

  • From: "Alexander G. M. Smith" <agmsmith@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 16:53:41 EST

>Has anyone ever thought of making BeOS files accessible on
>Windows, ie a file system driver or a reader for Gobe
>documents or an attribute converter that carries StyledEdit
>document formatting over into Word or WordPad?

I thought you can transfer Gobe documents directly, just by
adding the appropriate extension.

I've thought of writting a wrapper file system which uses
.dot files or some other technique of storing attributes in
ordinary files so that you could use attribute aware programs
on a non-attribute file system.  But that was for BeOS.

Windows NT (NTFS) has attributes already, so that shouldn't
be a problem.  But they don't quite have queries, instead there's
a separate indexing service.

Now, if you actually want to mount a BFS drive under Windows,
you'd need to write a Windows file system.  The file system kit
is $995US plus they require a signed confidentiality agreement,
so you can't use GPL code.  See http://www.microsoft.com/ddk/IFSkit/

- Alex