[haiku] Re: Launchbox

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 22:28:38 +0200 CEST

Disreali <mdisreali@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> --- On Sat, 9/19/09, Jonas Sundström
> <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > It's possible to design a preference panel for this
> > purpose
> It may just be me but that sounds much more complicated
> than just having a simple explanatory screen-shot in the
> users guide showing how to link apps to the auto-launch
> folder.

One of the core ideas of Haiku - the way I see it - is to
offer a great user experience even if you didn't read the
User's Guide.

Sure it's more complicated to make a preference panel, but
we do it for the users and ourselves all the time, so they/
we don't have to understand every where, what and why about
the system.

It's great that we all know how boot/launch works, and it's
great that the User's Guide does/will explain how it works.
But I think we can do even better, making it even easier
for newcomers to get the most out of Haiku. Let's not force
them through every lesson we had to go through, just for
the sake of it.

E.g. should we force people to use 'mkindex' or offer check-
boxes in FileTypes? I say the latter. Why make things hard
when they don't have to be. Understanding can come gradually
instead of having it all explained up-front.

/Jonas.