[haiku] Re: Ideas for a marketing push!

  • From: Jerry Babione <jerry.babione@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 05:11:02 +0000

On 11/10/11, Brian Hague <alphaseinor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My point exactly, the argiment is we need developers, but somehow targeting
> the small shops is taboo... Reminds me of the old beos days... Give it
> away, but only if you sell hundreds of thousands of computers
>
> we need to stop putting the cart before the horse... We wont get Dell
> anytime soon...
> On Nov 9, 2011 10:51 PM, "Jerry Babione" <jerry.babione@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 11/10/11, Brian Hague <alphaseinor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > How much are these small shop spending on windows licenses?
>> >
>> > maybe this is a licensing issue?
>> >

>> Brian,
>>
>> You can figure that each (Bulk License) of Vista cost me $119.00 and
>> Windows 7 cost $169.00 (because I'm still a microsoft partner).  I
>> wouldn't use them at all if Haiku was ready for primne time. ( I think
>> we could charge a resonable stipen ).  As posted earlier I shipped 80
>> PC's to Disabled and Terminally Ill people last year via.
>> http://www.jpfolks2.com. I'll do more than that this year, God willing
>> and the creek don't rise. The point is I've shipped MS, Open Solaris,
>> and Ubunto OS's to 690 people in the past 5 years out of my tiny
>> organization.  That could have been using Haiku.
>>
>> --
>> Jerry Babione
>> Founder-Just Plain Folks Org. Inc.

Brian,

Your right, the little guy is who's kept this going all these years.
I still have 17 BeOS servers in client shops who will not let go of
the old.  None of these businesses are $100,000 per year monsters.
The people make a living and use their computers to do it.  If we
support the peoples needs (all possible for us to meet) the bottom
line will take care of itself.  I've never starved and I've been
writing code since 1978.