[haiku] Re: Icon proposal

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:36:58 -0400

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't know where you got the idea that your opinion means nothing here.
> Quite the contrary. The Haiku developers are usually very open to input of
> any kind, the more something can be backed up with reasoning, the more
> chance you convince everyone. Voting power is a different thing. But well
> formulated opinions and arguments can influence a whole lot here. :-)

I will second this. Even someone completely new to Haiku could offer
valid ideas. Only close-minded arrogant people would ignore the ideas
of people from the outside. Sometimes those are the best, because
those people see things differently than those who have been using a
system for a while. This is especially true on anything UI related. So
please everyone, don't hold your opinions back just because you aren't
a Haiku developer!

> That being said, the arguments that especially Alexandre gave sound more
> convincing to me personally. Having made a whole lot of toolbar icons
> myself, trying to make them 3D, I know how much harder it sometimes is
> compared to making them 2D. Couple that with the fact that they can be
> harder to comprehend, especially at small sizes, and that some icons cannot
> be well represented in 3D, like ProcessController, creating a non-uniform
> look - I tend to agree with the 2D side.

The WebPositive toolbar icons are growing on me, but my first
impression was that I did not like them. There is just something
jarring about isometric 3D icons on a toolbar that is hard to explain
(as others have said.)

Given how flashy OS X is in general (such as the photo-realistic
application icons) it is rather interesting that it has such plain
grayscale toolbar icons (as well as their version of taskbar icons on
the right side of the system menu bar.) Even if we aren't OS X, it
doesn't hurt to get some inspiration from it. Not that I'd advocate
the full gray toolbar icon style, just something more flat and simple,
but still with some of the niceties our vector icons give us (nice
scaling, gradients, transparency, antialiased rendering.) Also there
are plenty of OS X applications with more complex toolbar icons, but
they are still flat (at least of what I have seen.)

> The icons in the file system are probably enough to give Haiku a unique look.

There are plenty of places to see the 3D icons even beyond just
Tracker. There is the Deskbar, Twitcher, LaunchBox, QuickLaunch, etc.
I think we (or maybe just Stephan and zuMi) can come up with some
flatter toolbar icons which are still unique.

--
Regards,
Ryan