[openbeos] Re: How not to actively prevent a PPC version of your software and write better code at the same time

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 16:52:07 CEST (+0200)

> Nathan's point here is very important, an is one of the keys to make
> software project succeed.
>
> When having a product on a number of platforms, you will from time to
> time break compilation or functionality for other people on the
> project,
> using another platform than yourself. This is a fact, and the effort
> avoid this completely is huge. An easier way to handle the problem is
> minimize the number of times that a compilation break will occur.

Of course, *some* of his points are valid (like writing nice code :-).

OTOH, PPC is not officially supported, this is an open source software,
AND there is absolutely *no* point in supporting ugly things for the
metrowerks compiler as this will be dropped anyway.
Having only one compiler greatly reduces all kinds of problem. And we
have decided for now to use the gcc, with an option to gcc3 in the
future.
Those two are source compatible.

It doesn't make much sense to compile on PPC now - the only thing you
can and should do now is to be worried about endianness.

Adios...
   Axel.