[openbeos] Re: How not to actively prevent a PPC version of your software and write better code at the same time

>> >That's just it: they *are* standard coding extensions. GCC even
>> > takes
>> >them if you turn off export all (which, IMHO, would be a good thing
>> >do)
>>
>> Can you point me to a C++ standard that they are in?
>
>No. But every compiler that I've ever seen takes and respects
>_declspec(dllexport), whereas only GCC exports all symbols.

That is just a limited experience thing. No flame intended, but many other
compilers export formats (which is really the issue) with all symbols.
Windows and Macs are the chief victims of "only export certain symbols".
Unix's, for years, haven't had this issue. As I stated in a previous mail,
any ELF compiler will export every symbol. If you don't like ELF, well,
I am not sure what to tell you.

>Actually, export all doesn't work right. You get lots of symbol

This is news to me.

>collisions in the statically linked runtime libraries, which are also
>required. We could also provide .exp files, but I'm not sure that's a
>better solution.

I think that placing the onus on the small number of PPC developers who are
porting is far better than placing it on the larger number of primary platform
people who are producing new code everyday.

>> >And the one percent, as Be learned as well, was a complete PITA. Nor
>>
>> Yes, that last one percent can be very problematic. Esp if you have *
>> NO* support
>> or help. That is what PPC faces in the Mac world. It was hard enough
>> with Intel
>> engineers helping...
>
>So let's not make it any harder than it needs to be.

By making everyone else's life harder? No.

>> I don't think that it is lame at all. I spent a couple of weeks
>> learning USB before I
>> even thought about writing any code. And there was nothing stopping
>> me from just
>> sitting down and coding like mad. I wanted to understand what I was
>> doing and why.
>> In professional software (which this is not), it is spec'ing out the
>> project. Since I don't
>> like writing specs, I just read and thought and planned. But it is
>> the same idea. I suspect
>> that the PPC folks (Hi, Tony!) have a lot more reading and learning
>> and thinking to do
>> than coding.
>
>Right. And I've been doing this for 4-5 months now, as have the other
>people doing PPC.
>-Nathan

Cool! So you have been writing drivers and code and getting ready for a new
kernel?