[openbeos] Re: Haikiu icon

  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:05:03 +0100 CET

"Chris Peel" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Sorry if this is going off down a rabbit-hole but I disagree with
> those
> comments quite strongly.  Firstly, most Linux distros (from a
> graphical
> perspective) are highly configurable - to the extent where you can
> make
> Linux (X Windows) look almost identical to Windows.  At the opposite
> end of
> the spectrum are Microsoft who are only just coming round to allowing
> users
> to customize their environments (Windows XP can only be themed fully
> through
> using a hacked version of an o/s library).  Either way though, not
> matter
> how configurable Linux is, it doesn't lose its identity (largely
> thanks to
> Tux).  At the same time, Microsoft trying to prevent people from
> changing
> the look of their o/s has lead to a glut of products that will do
> just that
> - by hacking resource files, libraries, etc.

That's not true since Windows XP. There's a standardized API.

As Stephan said, we need to distinguish Haiku from the others out
there. If you can make Haiku look exactly like Windows, much of the
added value in the UI disappears. Furthermore, branding aids
recognition. Imagine Linux without the penguin, and similar. It's
something people can relate to.

> I agree that It's probably not really a discussion to be having now;

No, it is not. Especially not on this list. Aren't there mailing list
specifically for this?

-- Mikael
"Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program
 contains an ad hoc informally-specified bug-ridden
 slow implementation of half of Common Lisp."      -- Philip Greenspun