[openbeos] Re: Haikiu icon

  • From: "Chris Peel" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:32:24 -0000

Sorry if this is going off down a rabbit-hole but I disagree with those
comments quite strongly.  Firstly, most Linux distros (from a graphical
perspective) are highly configurable - to the extent where you can make
Linux (X Windows) look almost identical to Windows.  At the opposite end of
the spectrum are Microsoft who are only just coming round to allowing users
to customize their environments (Windows XP can only be themed fully through
using a hacked version of an o/s library).  Either way though, not matter
how configurable Linux is, it doesn't lose its identity (largely thanks to
Tux).  At the same time, Microsoft trying to prevent people from changing
the look of their o/s has lead to a glut of products that will do just that
- by hacking resource files, libraries, etc.

What I'm aiming at is something in the middle.  Of couse, out of the box
Haiku would come fully branded to match the corporate identity, along with
wallpapers, icons, screensavers, etc.  All I'm suggesting is a potential
extra feature that allows users to customize the deskbar slightly more than
it is now.

I agree that It's probably not really a discussion to be having now; I'm
guessing this would all be thrashed out nearer release time when the rest of
the gui content is finalised.