[openbeos] Re: [Fwd: LugRadio Live UK 2008]

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare" <kokitomare@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:10:20 -0700

Howdy,

Simon Taylor wrote:
I am in the UK (Cambridge) and provisionally free that weekend, so I might be interested. Wouldn't want to be alone though, sounds kinda scary!

Although nobody will stop you, I would not recommend doing this sort of thing alone. From my experience, manning a booth alone for two full days can be a bit too much for one person (and perhaps also boring).

Doing a conference is really not that scary, and it can certainly be a lot of fun. One of the aspects that I like very much about conferences is that you get to know your community peers in person; this is how I met several of the Haiku people in the first place (Axel, Stippi, Travis G., Joe Bushong, etc.). Not only can you put a face to people that you may have known online for quite some time, but this sort of face-to-face encounters also strengthen the bond that unites you with them.

In addition, you get to show off your deam OS ;) to the masses, meet and talk to people from other projects and, as Scott mentioned, you also have the opportunity to attend talks that may be of interest to you.

Perhaps the hardest part of making this sort of thing happen is getting two or more people to make a firm commitment; once you get past that initial hurdle, it usually goes pretty smoothly.

FWIW,

Koki

Jorge G. Mare wrote:
Howdy,

Neil Munro wrote:
I am in the UK, intend on going to LRL and have an interest in Haiku, but not enough knowledge to do anything but I would REALLY like to have a talk in person with some of you guys.

That's the spirit! :)

You guys can talk to each other and see if a presence is viable.

If you guys want, we can setup a conference page on the website with all the relevant info; something like this one:

http://www.haiku-os.org/conference/2008/scale-6x

This may help find more people interested.

Cheers,

Koki