[openbeos] Re: Cosmoe is back

  • From: Bill Hayden <hayden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 15:02:12 -0500

On Feb 7, 2007, at 3:49 PM, Niklas Nisbeth wrote:

I trust you did this out of necessity and not out of ill will towards
the BSD community.

I'd love for it to work on other UNIX platforms.

The reality is that to support certain Be functionality, you have to pick a technology to emulate it. For example: for node watching, we use inotify; for attributes we use fsetxattr et al.; for getting and setting system parameters we use the /proc filesystem interface. On *BSD, these are either not available at all, or not all the same features are available. There may be other technologies available on these platform, but then someone has to do the work twice. I'm glad for someone to work on these sorts of things, but at this stage of getting things off the ground, it just can't really be me.

Thanks,
Bill Hayden
Hayden Technologies, Inc.
(352) 222-TECH