[haiku] Re: Booting Haiku on legacy hardware

  • From: "Charlie Clark" <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 23:47:02 +0200

Am 12.04.2011, 22:45 Uhr, schrieb <hudsonco1@xxxxxxx>:

If you have access to a PC you can use these instructions. If not, let me know what you used and I will add it to this wiki:
http://haikuware.com/wikis/doku.php?id=tutorials:install-haiku-to-usb-flash-drive-from-windows

The drive itself is likely to be just where it would be on a BSD system
/dev/disk3 <- you can get this from either "About my Fashion Toy" or in
the Disk Utility program.

dd directly on the "slice" will give a "Resource busy" message but so you
need to unmount the volume but not the device. This is best done in the
Disk Utility by right-clicking on the volume (it will have a
user-assignable name) but not the drive and then
... mailer gets very keen ...

dd if=haiku-nightly-anyboot.image of=/dev/disk3

Note I had to use sudo for this step. I'll let you know how I get on with it when it finishes writing.

Tip came from http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=598291

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark