[haiku-sysadmin] Re: Q: expanding our web services.

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 10:56:54 -0400

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 13:06, Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2010-04-08 at 16:03:05 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 04:52, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > I guess we can just allow them to put their files to ports.haiku-files.
>> > org directly, then?

>> For ftpd on ports.Haiku-Files.org, would we be able to set up
>> individual accounts and restrict them to the ftp folder?
>> Basically, I'm concerned about simply using pubkey+sftp, as that would
>> grant all ssh access to everyone as well.
>
> I have no idea about ftpd on those systems. Who is maintaining the DH account
> for haiku-files.org? Someone should know ...

ATM, i think axel is the only one with access to that DH's webadmin panel.
Numerous people has ssh access, but we try to limit that to as-needed
due to everyone sharing the same login account. (one for
www.haiku-files, another for ports.haiku-files)

> As an alternative, we could of course serve those files from baron. It would
> depend on how much traffic it causes, though (remember, we are limited to
> 2TB/month).
> During march, vmweb has served a total of 129 GB, vmsvn 156 GB (caused by an
> anomaly from march 27-30, during which it served 22 GB/day!), vmdev 10 GB and
> baron itself not more than a couple of MB.
>
> So, with a little more than 300GB/month, we are safely within limits, so
> unless the specific service has very high demands, I suppose we should be
> able to put more services onto baron (as a VM or otherwise).

> This sounds like OSDrawer could easily be run in a specific VM on baron. The
> server has enough resources for that, but we'd need one more IP (i.e. the
> FlexiPack) for the VM.

Seeing as the FlexiPack costs €15/mo, would we be able to put some
other low-usage sites on baron too?

> Hm, I think during the discussion we moved on to this one:
>        http://www.startssl.com/?app=40
> IIRC we were talking about getting a class2/3 certificate for 49$/2yrs. Those
> come with support for wildcards and multiple domains.

I'll look more into this over the weekend

--mmadia