[haiku-sysadmin] Re: Q: expanding our web services.

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:03:05 -0400

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 04:52, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> FTP space for HaikuPorts
>> ----
>> Some weeks ago, haiku-ports.de went offline.

> I guess we can just allow them to put their files to ports.haiku-files.
> org directly, then?

First, I'd like to trim disk consumption of the nightly images, but
hesitation gets the better of me.
For ftpd on ports.Haiku-Files.org, would we be able to set up
individual accounts and restrict them to the ftp folder?
Basically, I'm concerned about simply using pubkey+sftp, as that would
grant all ssh access to everyone as well.

>> OSDrawer
>> ---
>> Currently this is being hosted on a DreamHost account.
> I can't really estimate how much capacity OSDrawer needs, so I'm not
> sure we could deliver it.

Pier:  basically OSDrawer has:
~5GB of applications and svn+hg repositories,
~76GB of backups (total)
~600MB for each day's backup
mysql databases size is unknown but should be pretty low 'cause a full
mysqldump gzipped doesn't exceed 3MB,
mailman archives are unknown but they are basically mbox files
databases are on a different machines
and i don't have access to the mailman installation
but i don't expect right now that our databases and mailing list
archives will be larger than our applications + repositories (~5GB)
---
me:  any idea on memory usage?
Pier:   i'm not sure about memory consumption
Pier:  top says each Rails process eats ~200MB of VIRT, ~130MB of RES
and 4MB of SHARED
        VIRT should be swapped memory + resident
        RES is resident (code + data)
        SHARED reflects memory potentially shared by tasks
Pier:  each python process seems to suck ~30MB of resident memory
---

>> www.Haiku-Files.org
>> ---
>> Currently, the nighly images are consuming about 300gb.
> That's really a lot, and it sounds like we could clean up there a bit.
> For regression testing, bare images are enough, anyway.

For now, I moved the 2009's images into a respective subdir.
By bare images, do you mean keep just raw and delete the cd/200*/ and
vmware/200*/ ?

>> (art.)haiku-files.org
>
> Shouldn't be any problem to add it, just someone would have to do it.
> Would petterhj be okay doing so, and to maintain that site for the time
> being?

petterhj's been busy the past weeks/months, which is why is hasn't
been finished yet.

>> SSL Cert
>> ---
> Maybe we should first define for what exactly we intend it to use.
//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-web/Authentication-with-Drupal
This would improve upon the plaintext-over-the-wire authentication
mechanism, especially with Drupal.
Also, it'd prevent the possibility of session hijacking with the
current security implementation on Trac

IIRC, the last suggestion was to use :
https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/ssl/ssl_opensource.asp?se=%2B&ci=5988

--mmadia