[haiku-sysadmin] Re: Q: expanding our web services.

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-sysadmin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 10:52:00 +0200

Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> FTP space for HaikuPorts
> ----
> Some weeks ago, haiku-ports.de went offline.
> The domain name is registered until 2012, iirc.
> It seems like the server itself is just completely down.
>
> Luckily, only the pre-built archives were lost; the svn repository,
> mailing lists, and Trac site are hosted on a subdomain of
> Haiku-Files.org and were not affected.
>
> It was/is being provided for free from a community user, who is also
> providing the hosting for Haiku Gazette (which is maintained by
> humdinger). Neither humdinger nor I have seen/heard from him since
> before September. (At this time, Haiku Gazette is still online, as
> it's a different IP address). So, I don't think the situation will
> improve.

I guess we can just allow them to put their files to ports.haiku-files.
org directly, then?

> OSDrawer
> ---
> Currently this is being hosted on a DreamHost account.
> IIRC:
> Due to some limits imposed by DH, one of the update scripts employed
> by OSDrawer's software (Redmine maybe?) keeps getting killed.
> plfiorini has explained, even with `nice`ing the script doesn't help.
> The update script is responsible for populating the website with data
> from the repositories

I can't really estimate how much capacity OSDrawer needs, so I'm not
sure we could deliver it.

> www.Haiku-Files.org
> ---
> Currently, the nighly images are consuming about 300gb.
> To my knowledge, DH hasn't said anything about the disk consumption.
> Just wanted to mention it.

That's really a lot, and it sounds like we could clean up there a bit.
For regression testing, bare images are enough, anyway.

> (art.)haiku-files.org

Shouldn't be any problem to add it, just someone would have to do it.
Would petterhj be okay doing so, and to maintain that site for the time
being?

> Haiku-Inc.org

This could easily be served by our existing Apache installation on
vmweb, I would assume (it can serve different pages by domain name, it
doesn't have to be a separate VM).

> SSL Cert
> ---
> This isn't a web service, but it's gathered dust.  Do we still want
> do get this?

Maybe we should first define for what exactly we intend it to use.

> If we require more IPs, we need to buy the 'flexi-pack' from Hetzner,
> which costs and additional 15 EUR per month. Among other options,
> this
> would entitle us to request a set of up to 30 IPs for a setup fee of
> 49 EUR.

It would be nice to get around this.

Bye,
   Axel.