[haiku-development] Re: mkbfs/mkfs, new filesystems initialization utility

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 14:24:33 +0200

Stefano Ceccherini wrote:
> 2008/4/16, Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> >  An add-on based "format" utility would be cool, with both CLI and GUI
> > frontends.
> >
> AFAIK this shouldn't necessary, since the disk device api handle this
> already.

And it is already add-on based. We have to look at the only example of an
implementation available at this time, which is the BFS disk system add-on.
I have not acquired all the necessary knowledge yet myself, creating an
overview of what is where in the codebase would be a good start. There is a
separation between userland and kernelland for these add-ons, the real work
is done in the kernel add-ons, but it is a bit involved to follow and
understand all the code paths, at least it was for me.

Best regards,
-Stephan