[haiku-development] Re: mkbfs/mkfs, new filesystems initialization utility

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:35:18 +0200

Stephan Assmus wrote:
Gabriele Biffi wrote:
Marco Minutoli wrote:
IMO we need only the CLT because DriveSetup already has the ability of initialize a new filesystem and I think there is no reason to build another GUI program for this.
Yes, I just suggested to this ML (or it was the other one?) to also integrate bootman into DriveSetup.

I am against that.

Why not? Why can't DriveSetup be the one-stop shopping for all your disk needs? It already does (or is supposed to) partitioning, initializing, mounting, checking...

Bootman can be made as simple as a "Show in boot menu" voice in partition's right-click menu (with all the usual "your disk may blow" warnings, ofc).

But I would love to have an extra button in the Installer for installing the boot menu, besides the DriveSetup button. So when Windows overwrote the MBR again, you can start from the CD and do nothing else than reinstalling the boot menu. With BeOS/ZETA, you have to know the magic shortcut to start a Terminal (hey, a Terminal button too, please - better yet, a "Start the Desktop" button), and know to type "bootman" for rescue.

I am more for booting the Live CD with an empty desktop and a fancy window with two buttons "Start Haiku Live CD" and "Install Haiku in your computer" :-)

Regards,

Gabriele