[haiku-development] Re: [haiku-development]

  • From: "Salvatore Benedetto" <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:10:49 +0000

On 10/23/07, Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/23/07, Fredrik Modéen <fredrik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have read Haiku coding guidelines twice or three times before that
> > patch. I have looked at pe and it uses 4 spaces for a tab, so I would like
> > to know where those white spaces are?
>
> I REALLY think we need to provide a tool to check code against our
> guidelines. I need to do some research, but I'm sure there are tools
> for C++ to do this.
>
> I think we all agree that coding guidelines are good. But I've seen
> again and again how new contributors to Haiku make a few small
> mistakes, and it results in them feeling bad sometimes and more work
> for those who commit the patches. To me this means that the guidelines
> are not clear enough.
>
> So, I suggest:
>
> 1. The coding guidelines document needs to be re-written to be as
> clear as possible with extensive examples and rationale for why things
> are done that way.
I totally agree with you. As I wrote in one of my blog post, the biggest issue
I had when I started was coding guidelines, and Micheal can confirm that! :-)

> 2. A tool needs to be provided to check code against the guidelines,
> make the simple fixes (4 spaces -> tabs, etc.) and otherwise provide
> clear indications of what else is wrong and suggestions on how to fix
> it.
It's not a bad idea, even though I think that a nice well-written
document would be
enough! Anyway, I can help you with the development of the tool, it
should be an easy
parser, but I'm busy with the ohci driver right now.

Salvo

--
Salvatore Benedetto (a.k.a. emitrax)
Student of Computer and Telecommunications Engineering

Please do not send me any word, excel or power point file