[haiku-development] Re: [haiku-development]

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 13:57:10 -0400

On 10/23/07, Fredrik Modéen <fredrik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have read Haiku coding guidelines twice or three times before that
> patch. I have looked at pe and it uses 4 spaces for a tab, so I would like
> to know where those white spaces are?

I REALLY think we need to provide a tool to check code against our
guidelines. I need to do some research, but I'm sure there are tools
for C++ to do this.

I think we all agree that coding guidelines are good. But I've seen
again and again how new contributors to Haiku make a few small
mistakes, and it results in them feeling bad sometimes and more work
for those who commit the patches. To me this means that the guidelines
are not clear enough.

So, I suggest:

1. The coding guidelines document needs to be re-written to be as
clear as possible with extensive examples and rationale for why things
are done that way.
2. A tool needs to be provided to check code against the guidelines,
make the simple fixes (4 spaces -> tabs, etc.) and otherwise provide
clear indications of what else is wrong and suggestions on how to fix
it.

I would do this work, but right now I'm neck deep in WebKit and won't
be done with that for a while. So in the meantime if anyone else wants
to step up, please do. Otherwise this may not get done for a while.

Regards,
Ryan