[haiku-development] Re: Working on Caya and Mail app for GSoC

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 19:02:02 -0400

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Barrett <barrett666@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm thinking to propose for gsoc an API that allow integration of people
> files into Haiku applications.

I think such an API could be created in a matter of days, so it would
need to be part of a larger GSoC project.

> I'm asking if would be acceptable for gsoc a project like this :
>
> * Caya modifies to make it an optional package

That should be pretty easy.

> * Mail gui refactoring

More detail about your ideas here would be good.

> * Allow to see mails in tracker (?)

Isn't this already how mails work in Haiku?

> * Make a little contacts preflet

Doesn't the People app already serve this purpose?

> For example, (just an idea) there may be two classes the first, BPeople
> (BFile subclass) will allow to abstract a people file and make ordinary
> operations on it. The second, BPeopleRoster (derived from BQuery) that will
> allow to see system's contacts and select them using the functionalities
> provided by the BFS.

These could probably be useful simply for convenience but as discussed
above they could probably be implemented in a few days.

I've had thoughts of a contact syncing system for a while, mainly for
making People files of my Google contacts, but obviously syncing with
other services would be neat. Adding this would require more of the
"Service Kit" stuff which was discussed and partially implemented in
last years GSoC. Google's contact API is a REST API for example.
Adding that to the above ideas might make it a good GSoC project.

--
Regards,
Ryan