[haiku-development] Re: Working on Caya and Mail app for GSoC

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 18:03:16 +0100

Le 30/03/2011 16:56, Jérôme Duval a écrit :
2011/3/30 Stephan Aßmus<superstippi@xxxxxx>:
I'm thinking Tracker and Deskbar provide not only the access to files and
show which apps are running, they are the desktop and the main interaction
point with the system level features. I have no problem extending the
meaning of an icon in Tracker to represent an object of information,
independend of its storage location being local or remote. I can even
imagine icons to have more meanings. There are already icons with more
virtual, detached from the FS meaning, like the Trash icon or the Disk icon.
I can also imagine attached devices to be displayed as icons on the desktop,
like a scanner or a printer. IMHO an icon certainly does not have to always
represent a local file.
What this really means is you want Tracker to show other things than
files. It doesn't technically require a FS, but would show the need
for a new way of integration with Tracker.
But on the other hand, having it done as a FS allow access for other applications as well, which is what we actually want here :) (sharing contacts between a jabber account and a mail account, for example).

speaking of this, if each protocol is implemented as a FS, how would sharing contacts work ? This is a feature of the current IM Kit : the same person file can be used as a mail contact or an IM contact (possibly also something else). I don't see how that would work if each protocol is a separate FS, I suppose with a different mountpoint ? Or would we add an overlay to merge them on top of that ? Now isn't that useless obfuscation ? :)

--
Adrien.