[haiku-development] Re: UEFI boot loader for Haiku

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:23:02 +0100

Am 16/01/2013 20:04, schrieb Fredrik Holmqvist:
2013/1/15 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Is your repository already tracked in our commit list?
That would certainly help with getting feedback.
No, and given that I'll probably experiment quite a lot in the
beginning it might not be interesting.
Here is the code: https://github.com/tqh/haiku.efi
I guess I should try to make a readonly BFS driver first. Is there any
recommended code to start from?

Please reuse the boot loader BFS code in src/system/boot/loader/file_systems/bfs/ (or very similar), or, if not at all possible, write something very similar -- it already reuses as much from the original BFS implementation as possible.

I'm not sure if writing a file system driver is the best starting, point, however, as it's a completely optional that doesn't gain you that much (you still need some place to put the driver to, I would guess :-)). Writing the EFI platform bindings however, is something you will need to do anyway.

Also, as François pointed out, it makes sense to start building this from a complete copy of our tree, such that you have all the includes available for use. The EFI boot loader platform would go into src/system/boot/platform/efi/ - not sure what kind of code would go into src/tools/efi_loader - I can't think of any, but maybe François had something particular in mind.

Bye,
   Axel.