[haiku-development] Re: UEFI boot loader for Haiku

  • From: Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:47:20 +0100

2013/1/14 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I can't see why haiku_loader should not be the EFI application, or how your
> way can be any easier than this one. But maybe you can enlighten me :-)
> AFAICT the point of gnu-efi is to let you compile EFI apps from Linux
> without headaches as well.

Me neither, except for all the work needed. We have a few options though.
The big issue is EFI can't read BFS, so we need to move haiku_loader
from the partition to the EFI system partition or create another EFI
app that find and loads haiku_loader. I prefer the latter as we can
have different version of haiku and loaders more easily.

I wonder how hard it would be to have the EFI app load an elf-app and
provide a basic API to it.

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH