[haiku-development] Re: UEFI boot loader for Haiku

  • From: Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:43:18 +0100

A little status update, I've been trying to get binutils to add PE
target so objcopy can convert ELF EFI apps to PE apps, but it is not
going well.

In buildtools/build-gcc4-optional-package-Haiku.sh I'd expect to add
'--enable-targets=[possible same as
--target],i586-haiku-pe,x86_64-haiku-pe" and maybe
"--enable-64-bit-bfd" as I'm hoping to do both 32- and 64-bit. But atm
it seems I have to do a lot of brute force testing maybe restricting
to just 32 bit or 64 bit depending on what we are building.
I understand I'd have to mess with a lot more (gcc and lib) for both
32-bit and 64-bit), but I just want objcopy to show that it knows
those targets atm.

Any pointers or help in this regard would ease my problems, I think
I'll leave this for later and just focus on being to be able to build
ELF efi apps and do the PE conversion in Linux.

So progress is slow and frustrating.

Code wise, I think I'll use the same approach as FreeBSD which have
efi-lib and linker script quite similar to gnu-efi but without a lot
of magic gnu-efi does to handle many different platforms. gnu-efi has
a lot of call wrapper macros that FreeBSD avoids.

Please let me know if you can help with anything, my time is rather limited...

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH