[haiku-development] Re: To __BEOS__ or not to __BEOS__?

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 00:32:34 +0200

philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx wrote:
We've already broken source compatibility by removing the
libnetwork symlinks then.

Doesn't make breaking source compatibility before R1 more valid.

While these symlinks are still there in /boot/beos/system/lib, for
*binary* compatibility, one can't anymore recompile (well, link in
fact) a working BeOS networking apps without modification. That's a
weird and distasteful situation when a binary works without
modification on our target but its source can't be recompile on it
without some change, no!?

IMHO, no. The binary compatibility is required to keep old unmantained apps running. If they are maintained, the maintainer can just apply a few trivial modifications. Maybe we should write a document on the source code differences, how to port projects from BeIDE to our system, and such.

Regards,

Gabriele