[haiku-development] Re: To __BEOS__ or not to __BEOS__?

  • From: Maurice Kalinowski <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 10:42:18 +0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:
It's not.
For one, keeping binary compatibility has proven to be very valuable in terms of finding bugs.
Point taken. I did not consider this as a test scenario to be honest. Thus I have to agree that it might be useful to check for appropriate behavior inside of Haiku.

Then, it has allowed us to mostly stay focussed on our target - if we wanted to reinvent the API for R1, that would delay the whole thing a lot.
I was not talking about reinventing the API, nor about throwing everything away. But I got the impression that a lot of times the development fell over situations where one had liked it to implement things more easily than staying compatible. Additionally Be tried to provide binary compatibility with its virtual additions. That might have allowed in some cases to add functionality with a still working scenario for R5 applications. But this is to be avoided generally.

The layouting system is a perfect example for this. This is an extremely useful addition, which did not conflict with the compatibility scenario. On the other hand I do not see the reason for Haiku applications to stay R5 compatible and thus have to avoid these features. But now I am switching topic again.

Summing up, my previous mail might have sounded much more rude than it was supposed to be. But in general I still think that there are circumstances where one might reconsider the situation of staying too focused on R5 for the sake of it where things could be improved already.

Maurice