[haiku-development] Re: To __BEOS__ or not to __BEOS__?

  • From: Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 15:11:58 +0200

Fredrik Holmqvist wrote:
2008/5/9 Gabriele Biffi <mlist@xxxxxxxxx>:
Fredrik Holmqvist wrote:
Sooner or later we probably want to go 64 bit as well, which will
definatly break things.
Not necessarily. Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X 64 bit do run 32 bit apps.
 You just have to supply 32 bit libraries. That's it :-)

Actually it will break. It will be backwards compatible on the 32 bit
side, but on 64 bit side it will definatly break. The simple fact that
a pointer is 64 bit will guarantee that. That's what I meant, what
would be the point of breaking things on the 'backwards' side?

Uh, break what? There's no any 64 bit Haiku or BeOS, it won't break anything.

And for the pointer thing, that's a non issue: 32 bit apps will still have 32 bit pointers. It will break only the source code (I'm glad I started using int16, int32 and such back in the DOS days...)

Regards,

Gabriele