[haiku-development] Re: To __BEOS__ or not to __BEOS__?

Maurice Kalinowski <haiku@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Axel Dörfler wrote:
> > Otherwise, we'll break binary compatibility, and that's just a bad
> > idea
> > for any OS that already has an existing software base.
> What existing software base are you (and others) exactly talking
> about?
> NetPositive? SoundPlay? Gobe?
>
> Come on, let's be realistic, all those apps have been nice showcases
> in
> the last century, but we today this is nothing that will give you
> more
> than a nostalgic smile.
>
> I do understand the point in staying compatible to show uniformity
> and a
> clear view of the project to the outer world. But stating that Haiku
> is
> useless without these fancy applications will make Haiku useless
> itself.
>
> All the effort taken to stay compatible could have been used to
> create
> something so much greater. I have heard this opinion now from many
> people and it seems like nobody is willing to say it like this. It
> sounds rude, I know. But it is the damn truth.

It's not.
For one, keeping binary compatibility has proven to be very valuable in
terms of finding bugs.
Then, it has allowed us to mostly stay focussed on our target - if we
wanted to reinvent the API for R1, that would delay the whole thing a
lot.
And finally, I see no point in rendering whole software repositories
like BeBits completely useless for no added value.

Bye,
   Axel.