[haiku-development] Re: Set a custom icon for a BAlert

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2012 19:54:52 +0200

On 03.08.2012 18:32, Ryan Leavengood wrote:
On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:25 PM, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You really honestly think that an application like WebPositive, which
is now included with Haiku, will only be updated within an OS update?
Really?
Sure. It simply doesn't matter if only WebPositive changed or not, you will
run a new (point) release from Haiku from then on.
If that can be done right, and uses an efficient mechanism for updates
(like binary diffs of packages), I think it might be OK, as long as
point updates are done in a reasonable time frame (which is the real
area of concern and probably a whole bike shed discussion of its own.)

Yup. I think version numbers for apps like WebPositive make only sense if they are developed *and* distributed independently of an OS release. But that would only come into play if we started to maintain different Haiku releases (beyond security fixes). Which I somehow doubt in the foreseeable future (well, that probably only includes R1, anyway ;-)).

Like most things we can discuss this all day but it can really only
judged once it is implemented. But of course I guess we need to know
what we want to implement before we do so ;)

Almost nothing is set into stone; if we don't like it anymore at some point, we'll come up with a better plan :)

Bye,
   Axel.