[haiku-development] Re: Set a custom icon for a BAlert

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 12:12:56 -0400

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 8:53 AM, François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/08/2012 13:40, John Scipione wrote:
>>
>> Now, I could create a custom AboutWindow class (there already is one
>> in fact) and reproduce BAlert there with the extra icon functionality
>> instead, but, I can see how being able to set the icon on an alert
>> dialog could be useful in other situations.
>>
>> Any objections to me adding this feature?
>
> I thought we were removing about boxes...

Yes I believe at one point there was discussion of that, but frankly I
think it is a bad idea. Sure in some cases about boxes are just a
hard-to-maintain list of who worked on it, but they can and should
also provide some other useful information. BApplication has an entire
method dedicated to showing the about box so I think not having them
in included Haiku applications is bad form.

As for John's idea, I think it is great, and I've wanted to have the
application icons in the about boxes for a while. In fact the generic
BAboutWindow class I created in the shared kit could be modified to
look up the application's icon and pass it in to this new constructor
in its Show() method.

> Btw, can't you just override the icon once the object is created ?

I suppose, but it doesn't hurt us to make it a bit easier. I've never
been a big fan myself of some of the hacky ways of modifying
OS-provided views in BeOS and Haiku.

--
Regards,
Ryan