[haiku-development] Re: S3 Video Driver

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 23:22:33 +0100 CET

Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The plain Trio64 86C764 is not supported because it does not support
> Memory Mapped I/O (MMIO).  If someone has any ideas about how to
> handle,
> under BeOS/Haiku, a video chip that supports only PIO, I might
> consider
> supporting that chip.  The Trio64V+ 86C765 does appear to support
> MMIO,

The only way you can do this is to either move some of the
functionality into the kernel module, or you make port out/in available
to the accelerant (through an extra ioctl()).

> 1)  Savage 3D chip did not work with 16 bit color, and when I got
> that
> working, it would freeze the system when moving a window which had a
> large number of bitmaps such as the game BShisen.
>
> 2)  Savage/MX-MV  works fine under BeOS  as long as the user starts
> up
> with the default 640x480 boot screen;  however, if a higher
> resolution
> boot screen is used, it will only work at the resolution of the boot
> screen.
>
> 3)  Savage 2000 does not draw properly.
>
> When these problems are resolved and more testing is performed, I
> will
> submit the source code to the project.

Thanks a lot! I think I even have an old Trio card somewhere buried
here, maybe I will find it again some day :-)

Bye,
   Axel.