[haiku-development] Re: S3 Video Driver

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 13:03:48 -0500

Hello Siarzhuk,

Siarzhuk Zharski wrote:
This driver has been tested with actual hardware for all these chips except for the Trio64 UV+ and the Virge MX, and has been found to work reliably. Note that the plain Trio64 and the Trio64V+ are not supported by this driver.
Are there any serious technical reasons do not do this? I'm asking this, because Microsoft Virtual PC emulate following one as it's graphics hardware:

8811    86C732 Trio32, 86C764 Trio64, 86C765 Trio64V+ Rev 01

The plain Trio64 86C764 is not supported because it does not support Memory Mapped I/O (MMIO). If someone has any ideas about how to handle, under BeOS/Haiku, a video chip that supports only PIO, I might consider supporting that chip. The Trio64V+ 86C765 does appear to support MMIO, and works fine using 16 bit color; however, I was unable to get it to work using 8 bit indexed colors which might mean that it does not fully support MMIO. It always ignored whatever 8 bits colors that I had set; thus, I decided to not support it. Since video cards with this chip have only 1 or 2 MB of memory, a user would be limited to some rather low resolutions if only 16 bit color is supported. For example, if a card has only 1 MB of memory, the maximum resolution would be 800 x 600 using 16 bit color. The age of these chips was another reason for not supporting them; that is, very few potential users will have computers with these video chips.

As for the status of the S3 video driver, the Savage driver code has been fully merged into this driver; and is working fine except for some problems that had existed in the Savage driver regarding some chips that had not been tested when the Savage driver was submitted last year. These problems which I'm working on are:

1) Savage 3D chip did not work with 16 bit color, and when I got that working, it would freeze the system when moving a window which had a large number of bitmaps such as the game BShisen.

2) Savage/MX-MV works fine under BeOS as long as the user starts up with the default 640x480 boot screen; however, if a higher resolution boot screen is used, it will only work at the resolution of the boot screen.

3)  Savage 2000 does not draw properly.

When these problems are resolved and more testing is performed, I will submit the source code to the project.

Best regards,
Gerald