[haiku-development] Re: RoundRect ButtonFrame

  • From: Joseph Groover <looncraz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 20:52:30 -0500

On 3/26/2012 18:32, Pete Goodeve wrote:
This is really going bike shed... To me the difference in desirability between rectangular and rounded buttons is insignificant. (Though as I said before I find nothing wrong with rectanguilar ones.) And if the reason for going round is that "Everybody else is doing it", that's a non-reason... I'd think it was far more important to get a *really* stable system *first*, before thinking about prettyfying it. We need a scheduler that doesn't priority-invert, for instance (hopefully nearly there on that one). And we shouldn't even think of making any changes that might break current apps. That's the way I see it, anyway. -- Pete --

The coolest aspect of collaborative development is that improving one area often does not come at the expense of improving other areas. One side-effect, naturally, is that the most desirable features tend to get done first, regardless of importance. Which is why you always need a coordinator or coordination methodology...

That said, however, considering the work apparently quite well along, I'd opt for a checkbox in Appearance somewhere that gave a choice between the traditional appearance of BeOS - and a new, somewhat more stylish, appearance.

Haiku will need include no other utilities - ThemeManager can be brought fully up to do date, or something new can be made. Either way, a means to swap be_control_look needs to be implemented by someone at some point...

--The loon