[haiku-development] Re: RoundRect ButtonFrame

  • From: François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 02:40:27 +0100

On 23/03/2012 22:54, pulkomandy wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 04:08:03PM -0500, Joseph Groover wrote:
>>> IIRC, the plan for BControlLook was to make it replaceable like
>>> decorators. A rounded version might be a good way to experiment with
>>> that. I'm not sure I'd make it a default, but maybe some people that
>>> keep saying the UI looks "dated" would like it. Seems round stuff is
>>> what's modern in the 2000s (unless Windows 8 makes square look modern
>>> again ;))

Shameless plug...

I've done something alike loooong ago, even tough it was never really
finished. It was using ugly hacks at the time to hook into libbe, but it
did work.

http://revolf.free.fr/beos/apps/skinobe/

Source has been there for quite a while. You can use it under MIT license.

>> Of course, I can only write it and Haiku accepts it ;-)

Been there, done that...

There *is* a theme engine already for Haiku, which I've moved out of svn
a while ago.

http://dev.osdrawer.net/projects/thememanager

And yes, it's opensource, and you can send a patch !
I can't guarantee being able to apply it since osdrawer is still in bad
shape though. I'm not even sure it currently builds.

> I don't think the full theming engine (with xml and whatever) should be
> part of Haiku; maybe you already know of the BeTheme project. Still,
> Haiku should support replacing the looks and feels, even if it does only
> provide a single version in the stock install.

See, wasn't such a good idea to move ThemeManager out of svn, since
nobody notice it now :D

(why am I doing this if none notices ?)

François.