[haiku-development] Re: Read-Only Problems

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 18:38:37 +0100 CET

> Alexandre Deckner wrote:
> > Axel Dörfler a écrit :
> >
> >> Hi there,
> >>
> >> Stephan mentioned some problems regarding the read-only access of
> > > some
> >> parts of Haiku. I just changed BFS to only allow for read-only
> > > access
> >> for testing, and could not really see any problems besides that Pe
> > > did
> >> not want to start.
> >> Are there any specific problems that have to be fixed in this
> > > regard
> >> that I didn't see on first try?
> >
> > Changing the keymap needs write access iirc. Pulse also starts
> > ultra
> > minimized in a corner :-) I suspect other things won't behave
> > correctly.
>
> With future multiuser support in mind, no program should ever write
> settings to any other place than ~/config/settings. I believe this
> has
> always been the Be philosophy anyway, so this should already be the
> case, right? How about making /boot/home a ramdisk when running off a
> read only volume?  That way everything should work as usual, but
> changes would of course get lost on reboot (so a notice of this when
> the desktop appears would be good, perhaps in a simple window that
> also lets you start the installer?)

That's something I thought about for zeta and wrote for the demo CD,
though it wasn't finished.
The idea was to unzip from a usb key on boot, and zip back on restart
from the ramdisk.
But it did use memfs on ~/config/ and other places.

That'd be nice for "live" or "demo" CDs, but for install CDs it's not
needed.
François.