[haiku-development] Re: Read-Only Problems

  • From: "François Revol" <revol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 18:36:12 +0100 CET

> Axel Dörfler wrote:
>
> > Stephan mentioned some problems regarding the read-only access of
> > some
> > parts of Haiku. I just changed BFS to only allow for read-only
> > access
> > for testing, and could not really see any problems besides that Pe
> > did
> > not want to start.
> > Are there any specific problems that have to be fixed in this
> > regard
> > that I didn't see on first try?
>
> Deskbar replicants won't work because Deskbar has this "security"
> feature to only allow replicants that were explicitly added by the
> user
> and it uses an attribute it writes to the executable/library for
> that.

I remember rewriting BDeskbar for zeta to work with multiuser, using
symlinks somewhere in ~/config/.
That wouldn't work for a plain CD, but it would work later with
multiuser, and would also work if we mount a ramdisk/whateverwritable
on ~/config of settings/.

> BTW, I think there is still a weird bug in BFS. I will debug this
> myself
> but was not able to reproduce it at will yet. What happens is this:
>
> 1 - Downloaded hundreds of emails to Haiku using MDR.
> 2 - Started reading the emails one by one and erasng them.
> 3 - At some point there was an email whose filename contained weird
> characters (probably MDr didn't manage to figure out the encoding and
> correctly convert to UTF-8, so the chars appeared as squares).
> 4 - When I tried to delete this file, I got an error that it could
> not
> be deleted.
> 5 - All emails after this had exactly the same problem.

Rémi had a similar issue with a file (IIRC it was a japanese language
file for zeta).

François.