[haiku-development] Re: Read-Only Problems

  • From: Bruno Albuquerque <bga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 13:43:28 -0300

Axel Dörfler wrote:

Stephan mentioned some problems regarding the read-only access of some parts of Haiku. I just changed BFS to only allow for read-only access for testing, and could not really see any problems besides that Pe did not want to start. Are there any specific problems that have to be fixed in this regard that I didn't see on first try?

Deskbar replicants won't work because Deskbar has this "security" feature to only allow replicants that were explicitly added by the user and it uses an attribute it writes to the executable/library for that.

BTW, I think there is still a weird bug in BFS. I will debug this myself but was not able to reproduce it at will yet. What happens is this:

1 - Downloaded hundreds of emails to Haiku using MDR.
2 - Started reading the emails one by one and erasng them.
3 - At some point there was an email whose filename contained weird characters (probably MDr didn't manage to figure out the encoding and correctly convert to UTF-8, so the chars appeared as squares). 4 - When I tried to delete this file, I got an error that it could not be deleted.
5 - All emails after this had exactly the same problem.

Ideas?

And a different problem is that sometimes (I am not sure under what conditions yet), entries are not removed from indexes. So if you erase a file that would show up as the result of a query, the file would be deleted but its entry on the index is not removed. The result is that the MDR Deskbar icon still shows unread emails even with no unread emails anywhere. This is different from the similar bug under R5 as restarting the mail-daemon (does reconstructing the query) still shows that there is an unread email.

-Bruno