[haiku-development] Re: Rant about quality and testing

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 22:10:53 +0100

Hi,

> Could it be the Pe and WebPositive are looking for a specif version of
> curl and pcre?

I don't know what they truely link against, maybe we need to provide links to
the new library version that are named like what these apps link against.

>  We have a .bep file for Pe but I don't see one for
> WebPositive.  Who does the official builds of WebPositive?

These are being done by whomever worked on WebPositive last. Mostly by Rene,
perhaps Ryan last time.

>  I except
> that when we do move over to hpkg files that we'll have an automated
> way of building WebPositive and others with list of it's dependencies.
>  I have reopened #7286 and will post links to each of the reverted
> packages and hopefully someone reading this will be able to fully test
> each of them on gcc4.  I do my Haiku builds  on a gcc2 system so have
> indeed not fully checked the gcc4 build.  I build the packages on a
> fresh install of gcc2h onto a clean partition.  Could it be that gcc2h
> has openssl in a gcc2 location and my build of curl didn't locate
> openssl?  Maybe.  I'm rebuilding it now and will double check that
> curl find and includes openssl this time.  I pushed out the changes a
> few days ago to help uncover any issue before a possible freeze for
> alpha3 so that they could be ironed out ahead of the release.  No more
> updated packages will be included into the alpha, these were the last
> 7 that had been updated since the beginning of this year and I just
> hadn't had time to add them into Haiku earlier.
> Do we have a QA team yet that we can turn to to have them check this
> stuff out ahead of time?  I say "team" since there are just far to
> many different use cases for the packager alone to cover.
> Don't get me wrong, I appreciate this email thread.  Haikuporter is
> documented and not that hard to use, but I still see new
> OptionalPackages being added into Haiku without having a .bep file and
> without this we have to rely on whoever added that package into Haiku
> to do the rebuild if/when it's needed.  So please, please, if you are
> adding OptionalPackages into Haiku keep this in mind.  Some packages
> WILL affect others and without this being spelled out for everyone to
> see how are we to know?
>
> My haiku time has been cut back this semester as I am taking two
> classes and still working full time (that's 40+ hours here in the US),
> and of course the classes have more homework that I had hoped for.

I know exactly how it feels to have too little time for Haiku. Pretty much all
of us do. But that's the reason why we need to be extra careful not to cause
anyone unnecessary work. There will always be glitches of course, that's
perfectly ok. Your work for the project is very much appreciated, that's for
sure, you've done wonderful work on coordinating GCI for example! Your work on
the ports and packages is awesome, too, so please don't take this the wrong way.

> It was meeting Stephan and Ryan a few years ago now that got me into
> working on Haiku and I have enjoyed it and will continue working on
> it.
> Hopefully we will develop hpkgbuild to be a better haikuporter one
> which will handle dependency checking.
>
> Watch for the new builds to be linked on the ticket later today.

Indeed the situation with GCC4 versus GCC2 and all the hybrid combinations make
it a lot harder to test everything. Perhaps you can setup a GCC4 hybrid in a VM
for some additional reassurance that packages work as expected?

Best regards,
-Stephan