[haiku-development] Re: Rant about quality and testing

  • From: Rene Gollent <anevilyak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 13:54:22 -0500

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 1:44 PM, scottmc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Could it be the Pe and WebPositive are looking for a specif version of
> curl and pcre?  We have a .bep file for Pe but I don't see one for

Pe was failing to find libpcre.so.0. In the case of curl, the problem
was simply that SSL support was disabled in libcurl, Web+ otherwise
ran fine. In any case, I personally think it's a very bad idea to just
suddenly update all those packages right before an alpha freeze since
the ones we have are all pretty much known good at this point, and
from what I've seen updating us to the latest bleeding edge point
releases of all of the time really doesn't gain us anything except
headaches. Most projects couldn't care less about ABI compatibility
(and often even source compat) in the open source world, so it's
generally a safe assumption that a newer revision will break something
unless proven otherwise. In general, I'd be much more conservative in
the future about updating us to newer revisions all the time unless
there's actually a pressing need for it.

Regards,

Rene