[haiku-development] Re: [RFC / Important] Removing extra architectures

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 13:52:33 -0600

On Tue, 2014-02-18 at 20:29 +0100, François Revol wrote:
> On 18/02/2014 19:50, Alexander von Gluck IV wrote:
> > ok, I say lets set up the following plan:
> >

> As I said on IRC, +1 on removing the non-working archs from buildbot,
> but I don't see the point in removing sources from the tree, it will
> cause trouble to the few trying to maintain branches for those with
> having to revert commits.

Ok, how about Tiers?

Tier 1:  x86, x86_64, x86_gcc2   -- Can bootstrap, in Buildbot.
Tier 2:  ppc, arm  -- Not yet bootstraped, code in tree.
         Development should be somewhat active with potentially useful
         code someday.
Tier 3:  Everything else -- not in tree, not bootstrapped.
         (external forks welcome, we'll even link to them on the
          website ports page)

I could see arm going from tier 2 to tier 2 pretty quickly once we get
it bootstraped.  If Tier 2 architectures don't see progress after 1
year, they get bumped to Tier 3. If tier 2 projects get bootstraped,
they get bumped to tier 1.

Thoughts?  Less of a jaring move and gives folks time to get their crap
together :-D

 -- Alex