[haiku-development] [RFC / Important] Removing extra architectures

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:50:35 -0600

ok, I say lets set up the following plan:

* Drop PowerPC
  I have a deep urge to work on PowerPC, but I just can't keep any
  Apple PowerPC hardware running. Between popped capacitors,
  broken BGA balls, and expensive replacement parts... it just isn't
  worth the trouble.  Apple PowerPC hardware just doesn't last.

  From an end user standpoint, I think supporting PowerPC would
  be "neat" at best.

  I know there is other higher quality PowerPC hardware out there
  like the SAM boards, but they just aren't widely available.

* Drop MIPSEL
  Easy call, no consumer hardware and no interested developers.

* Keep ARM
  There is a lot of ARM hardware on the market that is small, cheap,
  reliable, and powerful.  Lets keep ARM in tree to flush it out as a
  viable platform. (there is also a lot of interest in ARM devices,
  good for GSOC and GCI projects)

* Keep x86, keep x86_64, keep x86_gcc2
  (Obvious choices)

Drop anything else not on this list.

Thoughts?  If there aren't any big disagreements, i'd like to push a tag
to our git servers (last revision with dropped platforms above) and
start removing the items above.

Thanks!

 -- Alex