[haiku-development] [RFC] ARM target support

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 19:50:45 +0200

Hi all,

With ARM slowly approaching user land, and me hanging on to a bunch of
cleanup/FDT related patches currently, I am wondering if we could clean up
the build system a little as well.

First of all, I want to propose to deprecate all < ARMv6 support, meaning
verdex and neo_freerunner, leaving us with overo, raspberry_pi, and beagle.

Also, at the moment, we're "forced" to choose a board at configure time,
and the full build is tailored to that device (at least there's #ifdefs in
bootloader/kernel for board). So building for multiple devices is a real
pain IMHO.

My "end-game" is to be able to configure once, and build the kernel + user
land pretty independently from the boards we're supporting. The only
exception there is building the image and the boot loader, which could
simply be done by a separate target per board (e.g. minimal-beagle).
Code-wise, there should be no #ifdef's (or at least as minimal as possible).

There's more issues with doing this, but they are all fixable. Just looking
for a general agreement on where to go with ARM support in the long(er)
run...

Ithamar.