[haiku-development] Re: [RFC] ARM target support

  • From: Alexander von Gluck IV <kallisti5@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 16:25:13 -0500

On , Stephen Hite wrote:
Technical reasons aside, why wouldn't the Pi become the #1 focus for
an ARM port?   They just surpassed 3 million in sales.   That's a lot
of potential for the organic growth of Haiku.

The hardware is mostly GPU with a small arm v6 CPU bolted to it.  It
definitely is a target but not any kind of power house.
(it lacks hardware MMU)

I did the original Raspberry Pi work, the platform isn't great to develop our initial ARM code on as getting JTAG is a big pain involving a soldering iron. (at least one older models). qemu support for the Raspberry Pi is non-existant except in 3rd party emulators as the board firmware is *not* open source. (yes there are a lot of articles on running raspberry pi images in qemu, but they all want you to recompile a custom kernel that is more generic than the hardware included in the Pi.)

The public interest is extremely high, but from a technical point the Beaglebone is a lot more capable, almost the same price, and completely open source.

Anyway, the biggest reason is the lack of interested ARM developers + free time.

Patches welcome :-)

 -- Alex