[haiku-development] Re: Question about /system and /boot/system

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 09:57:59 +0100

On 02.03.2011 18:54, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
* Obviously the showing/hiding of packages on a per-UID basis is
significantly more complex to implement (unlike the alternative, which is
already usable). We might also run into problems with it, like singleton
server processes running as root (or some dedicated user) not seeing per-user
files (e.g. app-server and user-locally installed fonts). Or seteuid()
programs being confused by a changing environment.

Yes, that kind of ruins the idea.

* When all is merged into one location, it will be non-trivial to determine
where a certain file comes from. That would also make it complicated e.g. to
prevent a "system" program from being dynamically linked against a user-local
library when started by a user.

Sorry for the perhaps dumb question... this is a security mechanism, correct? Is this already how it works now? If I put a custom libtracker.so in my home folder, running Tracker from its system location will not link it to the custom library?

Best regards,
-Stephan