[haiku-development] Re: Question about /system and /boot/system

  • From: Clemens <clemens.zeidler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 08:55:21 +1300

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 03:49:51 +1300, Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

But I have an even better idea: In theory, it would be coold to overlay all package-fs contents in a single file system tree. Right now, we sort of manually re-implement the "path resolving priorities" at various places. For example the PATH environment variable does it, but also many servers, for example the media_addon_server, manually implements resolving and shadowing add-ons in user/common/system paths. It would be cool if there would be only one package-fs mount point, and one could give the package-fs three locations to read packages from, whereas overlapping package content takes precedence according to the user/common/system priorities. Think of it this way: The system folder used to be "don't touch", while in fact it's now "system/packages", which is don't touch, and the rest of file system tree is actually virtualized/read-only anyway. So it might as well be one virtualized file system tree for software installations, which is composed from three different package content locations (i.e. there will only be the system hierarchy left). Am I making sense? The new layout would like this:

How would you handle manually installed add-ons? if I got you right there is only on path where you can put them. Does it means you only can install them as none system add-ons?

cheers,
        Clemens