[haiku-development] Re: Question about /system and /boot/system

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 09:51:04 +0100

On 2011-03-02 at 00:31:16 [+0100], Nickos V <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > For starters, I wonder where /system should point to: currently, /system
> > points to /boot/system, but that folder just contains the 'packages'
> > subfolder.
>
> You forgot about Deskbar, Tracker, haiku_loader, kernel_x86,
> runtime_loader? =)
>
> + servers, preferences and maybe some other folders too that you will find
> in system folder unless you plan to move those around too.

Nope, all of these (except for haiku_loader) will live in
/boot/system/packages/contents.

> > While correct in principle, it means that stuff like /system/bin
> > and /system/add-ons no longer work. I have no idea whether or not that is
> > going to be a problem with many legacy applications and/or scripts.
>
> No problems because everything found under system is from official Haiku
> repo.  Legacy libraries & add-ons should install to /boot/home/config &
> BeOS applications to /boot/apps.

Well, some of these apps might actually use system provided commands (like
find, ls, ...) especially shell scripts are likely to do so. Hm, I guess
we'll just find out by trying ...

> > Generally I wonder, what's the purpose of /system anyway?
>
> System folder is for official (system wide) binaries, libraries &
> everything else to run a Haiku system.

Right, but /system isn't a folder /boot/system is the one you're talking
about. I wondered about the meaning of the symbolic link at /system. Why is
it there, what is it being used for?

cheers,
        Oliver