[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: include InternalMIDI in Haiku

  • From: Barrett <barrett666@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 23:18:17 +0100

2010/3/22  <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Have you modified at all from the original?  I can't find any files

I don't committed any important patch, applied only some maintenance
modifies, anyway on local sources and as a personal experiment i'm
including PatchBay in InternalMIDI.

> on osdrawer, and of course the original is intended to connect to the
> Beatnik synth on BeOS.  (I tried it on Haiku, and it runs, but of course
> can't connect to the (fluid)synth there.)

No. i played with MIDISynth connecting it to InternalMIDI also via
PatchBay, and work as well in Haiku but have latency problems, the
sound seems ok.
(remember that Haiku doesn't have sf2 installed by default if you want to try)

> I'm not sure how useful it is in the current form.  It probably would
> be more useful to make 'MidiPlayer' a full-featured focus for this.

I think that MIDIPlayer should remain simple as concept, maybe there
are some nice features to be added.
My idea for a sort of midi preferences is related for example to
select different sf2 files.

> The BeOS one did provide a port (old MIDIKit style) that you could
> connect to with PatchBay, but the Haiku one doesn't seem to currently.
> I think it should. (Plus add the nice sliders that InternalMidi has.)
>
> One thing that definitely seems to need improvement is the performance
> of fluidsynth.  Cyan's 'SqueekySynth' drives fluidsynth fine on BeOS,
> but he still uses the old MIDIKit, so it won't work in Haiku.

Haiku have support for both old and new midi_kit, far as i know.

>  When I
> try to drive it with MidiPlayer in Haiku, the lag is about a second,
> which of course is useless.  I don't know if the difference is because of
> the settings used for fluidsynth (I had similar latency problems on Linux
> until I fiddled some parameters) or whether there's some more fundamental
> difference in the audio chain.  I'm handicapped somewhat because the
> laptop only has OSS, which only actually works 30% of the time!

 i'm curious to find where are the latency problems, maybe in media_kit?