[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Remove device manager

  • From: "Jérôme Duval" <korli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 19:10:23 +0100

2007/12/11, philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>:
> PNP Device Manager seems not simple for the most simple needs. While its
> features could justify it, they should offset the added complexity in a very
> visible way.

Sure. I don't think the PNP device manager was thought this way, it
has its shortcomings. Think of it as a first version of a software.
Sometimes you need a second version to please everyone.

> And so far, having a very good visibility on these features is hard to get,
> as its API is not as self-explaining as the R5 drivers API is, and we miss
> documentation and simple sample-code.

Agreed. The main thing I had problems with is the fact some modules
are loaded at boot time, and some later.

> The node device tree may be a valuable addition, but I fail to see what it
> does, how it does it and why it's that useful (I though devfs was handling it
> already for us...). Maybe I'm alone here, but maybe not.

Hmm, the device tree is actually helpful to simply know which driver
is attached to which device. For example, the AHCI bug of Marcus was
easily visible when I saw two nodes attached to the ahci pci device.
Some silly checks seem to be missing in the PNP device manager for
cases when a driver does bad things. Additionally there is always the
problem of plugging R5 type mass storage drivers (ie usb/firewire).

Bye,
Jérôme