[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Remove device manager

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:15:56 +0100

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:06:13 +0100 (CET), Marcus Overhagen wrote
> It is unnecessary complicated and stalls the entire
> kernel driver development process.

Yes, I fully agree. I have written a it8211 IDE controller driver for my
"legacy free" mainboard that only contains a non-standard IDE controller.
Works fine under R5 and supports DMA (have to publish that to BeBits some
time). Getting it to work under R5 required some extra work, but was after all
pretty easy to do. I then tried to port it to Haiku, but I absolutely couldn't
find out how the whole stuff works. How and when the disk driver is supposed
to load the controller, how controllers/channels communicate with each other,
etc.. This is the second time this has happened to me, the first time was when
I tried to port the usb_scsi to Haiku. This is still not done and I don't
really blame Siarzhuk (who has taken over the task) as I've been there asking
myself how everything is supposed to work.

Regards
Michael