[haiku-development] Re: Proposal: Remove device manager

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:33:59 +0100

Michael Lotz wrote (2007-12-11, 13:15:56 [+0100]):
> On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:06:13 +0100 (CET), Marcus Overhagen wrote
> > It is unnecessary complicated and stalls the entire kernel driver
> > development process.
>
> Yes, I fully agree. I have written a it8211 IDE controller driver for my
> "legacy free" mainboard that only contains a non-standard IDE controller.
> Works fine under R5 and supports DMA (have to publish that to BeBits some
> time). Getting it to work under R5 required some extra work, but was
> after all pretty easy to do. I then tried to port it to Haiku, but I
> absolutely couldn't find out how the whole stuff works. How and when the
> disk driver is supposed to load the controller, how controllers/channels
> communicate with each other, etc.. This is the second time this has
> happened to me, the first time was when I tried to port the usb_scsi to
> Haiku. This is still not done and I don't really blame Siarzhuk (who has
> taken over the task) as I've been there asking myself how everything is
> supposed to work.

I cannot comment on the subject from own experience, but I trust you guys
on this. To what you have said, I could add that the original
author/maintainer of this code is sadly not arround anymore. I would like
to hear some input from Axel and Ingo though, since they seem to be most
familiar with the code of the device manager.

Best regards,
-Stephan